Post by Felicity Whelan, Managing Director – GLUE Content

Ascend2 recently conducted a Video Marketing Strategy survey online which had 280 respondents all of whom are US and international marketing, business and sales professionals representing a variety of demographic channels, roles as well as company sizes. The study report suggested that the main objective of video marketing is to increase the awareness of a brand. Other objectives include improving customer education, increasing online engagement and increasing leads generated.

The study report indicated that only 25% companies have rated video marketing as being very successful at achieving the above objectives. An additional 60% companies found video marketing strategy fairly successful. The total of companies that found value in video marketing strategy is 85%. The remaining 15% are still struggling to realise success with video marketing.

This can be attributed to a variety of obstacles. The main obstacle with video marketing strategy according to Ascend2 is lack of an effective marketing strategy. This was backed by 48% of those who were surveyed. Other obstacles include lack of production resources, inadequate video budget and lack of compelling content.

About 50% of the marketers who were surveyed consider demonstration videos, tutorial or explainer videos and customer testimonials the most effective type of video content used. However, when asked which type of video content are the most difficult to create, case studies/project reviews and customers topped the list.

The study compared the most difficult video content to create with the most effective. It concluded that demonstration and tutorial videos are almost twice as effective as they are difficult to create. Case studies or project reviews were found to be less effective than they are difficult to create.

The good news is that the effectiveness of video marketing was found to be increasing for 87% of the respondents while 47% of them said that the increase was significant. And while 67% of the respondents reported an increase in their video marketing budget, 57% of them said it is increasing marginally. Only 18% of the respondents say that it is increasing significantly.

At the same time, Integral Ad Science found that the overall video view-ability was a low 37.2% this figure is even lower than the overall video view-ability which was found to be 44%. Both of the above figures are a clear indication that the view-ability rates have been slow to improve despite increased pressure from advertisers on the industry. Given Integral’s ability to analyse the industry on a broad level, it’s hard to ignore these numbers.

It is important to keep up with the latest and best practices to improve video marketing.

Cover photo: inbestia.com

Flick-blog-picFelicity has a decade of experience working as a presenter, host, MC, producer and content strategist. She’s worked both in front of and behind the camera for Fox FM, Triple M, Channel 9’s Today Show and Network Ten. She is now the founder and Director of GLUE Content and delivers video content for major corporates, creative agencies and sport brands. At the forefront of content development Felicity’s knowledge gives her an edge when it comes to driving engagement. Whether using the power of content to engage fans in sporting stadiums or innovating new ways for corporates to induct and train staff, Felicity is looking to the future and evolution of content by using the power of video to engage the next generation.